If you are going for an interview, pay attention to your clothes. Even the number of shirt buttons opened matters. Here are some tips that can help.
Dress Etiquettes For Interview
Certain things need attention when going for an interview. Your dress and look also play an important role. Not just the shirt style, even the number of buttons you have kept open on the shirt holds significance. Understand that the interviewer first notices your shirt buttons to get an impression of your personality.
How Many Buttons to Keep Open
Broadly speaking, it depends on the style of your shirt. But generally, two buttons (including the collar button) are kept open on the shirt. Now there are some points you should consider regarding this.
- If the shirt buttons are far apart, keep only the collar button open. Opening two looks untidy as too much chest is visible.
- Similarly, if the buttons are very close together, keeping just the collar button open does not give a good look. So in this case, open two buttons.
- Decide as per whether you are wearing a tie or not.
- Also ensure the chest is not very visible as that is considered improper.
- Choose the shirt as per the coat you are wearing. For V-neck coats, keep buttons open accordingly.
- Make sure there is no hair on the chest visible. Do not wear chains or accessories peeping out from the shirt.
- For women too, be careful not too many buttons are open on the shirt. Aim for a smart look but not a vulgar one.
- Do not wear any accessories from neck to hands. Ensure buttons are not broken, uniform, and not multicolored.
Other Dress Etiquettes
Along with shirt buttons, keep these other dress etiquettes for interviews in mind:
- Formal attire like suits is preferred over casuals
- Clothes should be neatly ironed, not crumpled
- Avoid heavy jewelry or accessories
- Hair should be well-groomed
- Shoes should complement the dress
- Go easy on perfume or makeup
- Carry a folder for documents
The clothes you choose and your overall grooming create the first impression. Dressing smartly as per the role can boost your confidence for the interview.Share With Your Friends